Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gain and Loss

I was listening to Pastor Carey's Sermon today. And he said something I that I had heard a million times but never stopped to think about it (Probably the same for you). What he said was Paul's famous words in Philippians 3:8 - (paraphrasing) Everything I think of as gain I count it as loss for Christ Jesus. When he said that I believe that God really laid it on my heart to think and meditate on. What I think Paul meant by that is this, Everything that he considers "gain" or something he likes having, Compare that to Christ and it is Nothing. OR Another way of looking at that would be all the things we like having takes us away from Christ or time with Christ. If you disagree or think this means something different comment or email me @ btmtrilogy@gmail.com, I would love to hear from you. And Thank you Pastor Carey for saying something that really stuck out that was God using you to touch me.

Thanks-for-Reading,

~Bwdlake~

5 comments:

Chris R. Quinlan said...

I think you got the gist of it. I would say that the things "we like having," have the potential to distract us from Christ, and often do. I think Paul was thinking about his past pursuits and accomplishments, and how, compared to the "gain" or true value of knowing Christ, everything else we find value in, is by comparison, "loss," or we would say, a waste of time. I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I had a similar experience many years ago, when I came to realize that things I thought were important (taking up alot of my time) were not important at all and were, in fact, distracting me from God. That was a big moment for me and my walk with Christ has never been the same since. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

blake, it amazes me the things that the Spirit is working in you at your age. i agree with chris in that if it's distracting you away from Christ, then it's not a "gain". it's not so much that God doesn't want us to have things we like. but if it's taking time away from God, then it's loss. for me, it's TV. that's why I don't have cable. I know if i did, i'd watch more TV than I need to and would be very tempted not to spend as much time digging in His word.

thanks for sharing what God's teaching you. i sure do love you!!

Bwdlake said...

Yeah I agree with both of you thanks for commenting. And Thanks for your input. For me it TV and Music and Computer. That's why I have reverted to only Christian music on my iPod. (Except for my Chorus Music and Vocal Exercises. But Thanks Again.

~Bwdlake~

RBBCSM said...

Blake,

Great thoughts....I think the important point Paul is making is that knowing Jesus is more important and more valuable than anything else. Nothing compares to the surpassing value of knowing Christ...and especially, knowing Christ as Lord and Savior.

Keep on thinking on these things (Phil 4:8)!

Travis

Bwdlake said...

Thanks for your feedback. And I agree.....I do think that's what he meant.

~Blake Dean~